Electronic health records provider Epic and health insurer Humana have teamed up to improve patient and provider communication as well as access to health information.
Five things to know:
1. Humana is the first insurer to partner with Epic. The two companies aim to advance interoperability and transparency between patients and providers. As a result, Epic and Humana officials said they hope their partnership will reduce costs, improve quality and increase patient satisfaction.
2. Humana will integrate its real-time benefits check tool, IntelligentRx, into Epic’s electronic prescribing workflow, which selects a more cost-effective treatment 40 percent of the time, according to Humana’s President of Pharmacy Solutions Scott Greenwell.
3. By integrating Epic’s technology, Humana aims to improve physicians’ timeliness and accuracy while also easing physicians’ burdens.
4. Through the partnership, Epic and Humana want to increase the quality and timeliness of data exchange and improve provider access to claims support monitoring of value-based performance.
5. Additionally, Humana and Epic seek to eliminate inefficiencies for prior authorization decisions and provide physicians quality and cost information when they make referral decisions.